I made a handful of tops: one cherry, two mulberry and one walnut, finished them and set them aside. The wood I used spoke to small tables and, although I had no idea what the bases would look like, I knew this pile of wood wanted to be table tops.
I decided to finish the cherry one. I had a rough idea for legs: I split part of a hollow cherry log about a foot in diameter. I split through a knot so that the legs would appear to be mirror images of each other. Then, I set to the business of cleaning these pieces up with chainsaw, grinder and sander. There was a lot of loose interior punkiness which needed to go. Fortunately, there was no sign of bugs, in the interior or in the bark. The bark wanted to cling, as opposed to falling off, so I smoothed it and brought out the color.
I cut the legs at about 15 degrees on both ends. This was challenging, but after a few tries, I got it. I joined the legs with a piece of cherry, natural edge down, and that combo became the base.